Catherine Chandler's Poetry Blog

Monday, February 10, 2014

Memories of Clover


Photo by Ann Mah (annmah.net)

My poem, "Vermont Passage" (first published in Mezzo Cammin and included in my first collection, Lines of Flight, Able Muse Press, 2011) has been selected from hundreds of entries for the "Poetry Jumps off the Shelf" project. It will appear on postcards available to houseguests in Wisconsin & Vermont rental cottages.

The sonnet is dedicated to one of the most accomplished poets I know, Deborah Warren. I first met Deborah at a luncheon in Newburyport in 2005. I'd made a remark about the lovely Vermont wildflowers along the highway, whereupon she asked me if I had smelled the clover on the hillsides. The poem is a sort of poetic antiphon, not only to her observation, but also to hope in general.

No comments: