Catherine Chandler's Poetry Blog

Sunday, January 15, 2012

. . . and these are all for you . . .

Apple Picking (Winslow Homer, 1878)


The purpose of this website/blog is to share my "ungemmed, unhidden" poetry with you. 

The sonnet below was written by one of my favorite poets, Edna St. Vincent Millay.  "Apple Picking" is by Winslow Homer, one of my favorite artists.


Fatal Interview Sonnet XI - "Not In A Silver Casket"



Not in a silver casket cool with pearls
Or rich with red corundum or with blue
Locked, and the key withheld, as other girls
Have given their loves, I give my love to you.
Not in a lovers'-knot, not in a ring
Worked in such fashion and the legend plain-
Semper fidelis,
where a secret spring
Kennels a drop of mischief for the brain:
Love in the open hand, no thing but that,
Ungemmed, unhidden, wishing not to hurt,
As one should bring you cowslips in a hat
Swung from the hand, or apples in her skirt,
I bring you, calling out as children do:
"Look what I have! - And these are all for you."



No comments: