Catherine Chandler's Poetry Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

How do poems grow?

How do poems grow? They grow out of your life.  (Robert Penn Warren)




 Writ
“Foole,” said my Muse to me, “Looke in thy heart and write.”Sir Philip Sidney, “Astrophel and Stella"

And so I searched, but all that I could see
to write about was this:  a vacant room
whose occupants once held a tenancy
of woodstream orchids, where an old perfume
clings to its quiet corners, knows my key
will turn, a frequent caller to a tomb
already ransacked, sifting through debris
only a fool like me would dare exhume.

I’ve served my warrant, Muse, and I am pleased
to tell you that I’ve found the smoking gun
you always knew was there. So I have seized
it, tagged and bagged it. Now my work is done.
This evidence I can at last impart –
the delicate forensics of the heart.



by Catherine Chandler (first published in The Chimaera, Spring 2008)

No comments: