REVIEWS & INTERVIEWS

▼

My Books (click on the link below)

▼

LIST OF MY POEMS AND SHORT STORIES

▼

BIO

▼

AWARDS

▼

BLOG TITLE POEM

▼

Monday, October 29, 2012

Farewell, Friend







Chola — May 23, 1998 - October 29, 2012

 (Below is "Dogwood" from the poem sequence "Days of Grass" in my book, The Frangible Hour)

Dogwood  

—in memory of Chola

 

 

We have the last appointment of the day.

That’s how it’s done—

they don’t want anyone

to see the dog they’ll have to put away,

hear muffled sobs, feel ill at ease,

fearing a transmissible disease.

 

For days she wouldn’t touch her food or water.

Nearly fifteen,

there was so much she’d seen—

the previous summer’s turmoil when my daughter

had nearly died, then father had.

Night terrors when I thought I might go mad.

 

But mostly good times. As the years stacked up,

I failed to multiply

by seven. In my mind’s eye

she would always be the playful pup

who barked at birds, chased squirrels, scratched the dirt

and loved to nip the edges of my skirt.

 

She lies on the examination table

in this white room,

a steadfast friend with whom

I had entrusted secrets. Are you able

to stay?  I nod. He shaves a spot,

inserts a catheter. Before the shot

 

of pentobarbital, a sedative.

She sees me. Knows.

And as her brown eyes close,

I wonder if I’m able to forgive

myself for ever thinking she

was just a dog. This vital part of me.





Thank you for over fourteen years of love, loyalty, companionship and happy memories.

♥ ♥ ♥




No comments:

Post a Comment