REVIEWS & INTERVIEWS

▼

My Books (click on the link below)

▼

LIST OF MY POEMS AND SHORT STORIES

▼

BIO

▼

AWARDS

▼

BLOG TITLE POEM

▼

Monday, August 14, 2017

Plain Beauty






For some reason, the link to my curtal sonnet, "Plain Beauty", published in May 2017 in The Rotary Dial is non-functional, so I've included it in this blog post. It was one of six different types of sonnets I read on Saturday evening at the campfire reading at the Parc nature Les Forestiers-de-Saint-Lazare, in the little village where I live. A photo of me reading, taken by Brian Campbell, is below.




Plain Beauty


Glory be to God for homely things—
            For muddy boots and oil-stained dungarees;
                        For calloused hands that knead and scrub and hem;
Threadbare baby blankets; apron strings;
            Those first attempts to write the ABCs;
                        And tone-deaf lullabies at 3 a.m.

All things modest, unassuming, rough;
            Rag rugs, first drafts, eucalyptus trees;
                        Plain-spoken poems (foliage . . . leaf and stem);
They whelm the world in love. It’s not enough.
                                    Love them.



Catherine Chandler, August 12, 2017 Parc nature Les Forestiers-de-Saint-Lazare












No comments:

Post a Comment