Catherine Chandler's Poetry Blog

Monday, June 6, 2011

Rendez-vous with destiny

Tomorrow I'll be leaving for Philadelphia/West Chester for the West Chester University of Pennsylvania Poetry Conference.  For years I've been longing to attend this conference but, because of employment and financial reasons, I never made it.

That's why I can hardly believe I'll be there this year, on a full scholarship, not only attending and taking part in A.E. Stallings's master class, but also reading some of my poems on the First Books Panel.

I've been practicing nine poems, but now will be adding one more, a special request from Rhina P. Espaillat, who has been an inspiration to me from Day 1.

I won't be taking my computer along with me, but promise to make a full report of my experience at the conference once I get back.

The only cloud in the sky is knowing that my dear mother is very ill right now. I will dedicate my reading to her. After all, it was her lullabies and nursery rhymes that first opened my ears and heart to rhyme, rhythm, and, of course, poetry.

No comments: