Catherine Chandler's Poetry Blog

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Abacus

Calculating-Table by Gregor Reisch: Margarita Philosophica, 1503.





 Abacus

A monotone of multipartite prose
divides into a calculated text;
its quirky quotient and remainder pose
as ciphers, cybernetic, multiplexed

a linear equation in disguise.
Well, count me out of that, but count me in
the metric system (though this be unwise),
and let me wallow in my cardinal sin:

an aggregate of sonnet, villanelle,
of terza rima and the odd blank verse,
rondeau, pantoum, the triolet as well.
Go on. Black list me. I can think of worse.

And since I reckon that the rate is prime,
despite the sum of others' wasted wrath,
I'll bloody tick them off and tick off time
until the Galilean aftermath.


-- Catherine Chandler



No comments: